Thursday, September 15, 2011

Reflection 2 Part 1

Wow, I finished that whole book... Took awhile, but I definitely learned a lot reading it. I guess I subconsciously noticed these things, but I never knew that they were good techniques!

It was neat reading stories of how their subs didn't show and the kids continued the class ON THEIR OWN! Though now that I think about it, that's how my graphics and art classes worked in high school. They were very predictable and I remember my classmates being on task. I also know I wasn't the only one who showed up early.

As I was reading I came across a part about how to set up your classroom so it's comfortable and relaxed. I went to a workshop about classroom layout at an art education last year, so it has been in my mind. I keep thinking about my high school class and how the classroom was set up. It had a communal desk type area in the middle for lecture and computers around the perimeter of the room. I know every room is different, but I would probably set it up similar to that. But I would want to add a little area somewhere in the room where they could sketch, get inspiration or eat a snack (since I don't want them eating at their computers). I imagine a couple of beanbag chairs, a short bookshelf with various art books and a cool rug underneath it. I was thinking of having it available to students who get their work done consistently. Though, the main purpose of that would be to get over any artist's block they might have by just sketching or perusing through the art books. Though I have to be careful to make sure I can get to every student (I don't exactly fit between rows very well). The main thing is keeping it relaxed and inviting, but organized. This includes having them know exactly where to turn in things, pick them up and it even said in the book you can have them be responsible for attendance!

I found it interesting that the way you handle the class in the first couple weeks sets the tone for the rest of the year. It still blows me away how important it is! Also some good tips were all over in the last few chapters on how to deal with the first day: have your name and period clearly posted so the students will know if they're in the right place. The book mentioned that being in the wrong class is a top fear on the first day, now that I think about it, they're right. Especially if it's your first day at the school and you don't know where anything is. I also like the idea of greeting them at the door on the first day. It gives me more chances to learn their names. Referring to them by their names is really important for the students and for me. Before I was teaching on Tuesday I was starting to get nervous again, but then I went through each person in the room and (happily) was able to name off each person. It put me more at ease actually recognizing individuals rather than a nebulous mass of people I don't know. That fits with me because I cater to individuals better than I do to groups.

I think my favorite part of teaching will be becoming friends with new people and helping them make the most of life. I want to expect and trust that they will succeed, and they will because I will be there to help them. I definitely don't want to raise my voice at them, because it creates awkwardness throughout the room, like one of my high school teachers. I love her to death, but she could not handle teenage boys very well, which wasn't good because she was a computer programming and MRI+ teacher... I was the only girl in those classes. I found a comforting fact in here; students are more influenced by conviction rather than straight up intelligence. I was worried that I had to know EVERYTHING!

Reading also did bring up some hard things for me, particularly my attitude towards myself. Luckily I have a couple years to work this out, but I have been my own worst bully. I need to get rid of my negative self talk, I can succeed and I will. I push through anything whether it be hard or easy and always come out on top in the end. I need to be confident in who I am and who I can be. If I don't care about myself, why should my students? Why would they take any of my advice seriously if I don't take it myself? Every time I act, I am an example, it shows who I am and I need to see myself as others see me. I need to get used to wearing more not so casual clothes, as I've been moving away from normal t-shirts I have been noticing I carry myself different, I didn't think it would make a difference. But it did. I always thought it a little shallow, but how we're dressed is how we're perceived and determines if we are respected. Last year I thought it would be funny to blend in with the students on the first day of school (I get mistaken for a younger person all the time) but after reading this book, that wouldn't be a good way to start off and would hurt my efforts the rest of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment