Thursday, October 6, 2011

REFLECTION 5

I just got back from doing observations at Wastach High School in Heber, it was crazy! The school is really nice and the class we went to was the best tv broadcasting program in the state. It was neat to see the kids so into learning! A lot of it was self directed. The teacher takes his best students to New York every year to tour tv studios and he brings what he learns and implements it into his classroom. He said the more real you make it, the more excited the students are. They even have a window behind their anchors like on the Today Show (the silly people in the background), which i thought was a great touch. Apparently Blake took that class when he was at that high school, but they apparently got a new building since he graduated. It sounds like the most exciting thing that happen to a teacher (classroom wise) is to have a new school built. They actually get to design their classroom! I didn't know that was common practice, but it makes total sense.

It also happened to be where Scott Silver was student teaching. I personally am a little nervous for student teaching, but the kids actually seem to care about him and respond well to him. Now that I think about it, I did treat my student teachers with just as much respect as my actual teachers. But it was interesting hearing how it's been. It sounds pretty intense (a lesson plan everyday? But then I saw his mini lesson plan and I felt better). Also I forgot that the whole period is not talking at the class, most of it is work time (which is the part I'm really good at). We also got to meet the digital media teacher next door who was studying animation (like me) before he went into teaching. He had a couple of neat projects hanging on the walls.

Project one: he split up a movie poster into enough pieces to spread amongst all the students and had them paint it using photoshop. So each square had a different coloring style than the next. Then they would reassemble the poster on the wall.

Project 2: for basic photoshop stuff he had them make a little "all about me" collage. It had a picture of their face and things they liked. Super easy, but a fun way to teach lasso, type and other tools in photoshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment